Friday, October 15, 2010

Entertainment from the mouths of teens

Let me start this post off with a question.  What age did you start to notice the quality and otherwise subtle things in movies or music that made you like something or see something as truely amazing?  For me this came when I turned about thirteen, but back then I was not quite the snob I am today when it comes to music and movies and tv.  You take elements of a film more seriously once you to start analzye a movie, and try to judge a film like Roger Ebert does on a weekly basis.  But some of us movie snobs do have our guilty pleasures.  Movies that are so bad it makes people cringe just watch, and I am sure a lot of you have a movie like this.  But with all this aside you see the title of this post and you ask what are you talking about?

Well again before I start on the point let me tell you a brief story.  This story takes places a few weeks ago, when I was walking around the mall.  I know I KNOW you people are sick of me harping on the Twilight Series but yes this involves Twilight.  The teenagers I am guessing were in their early teens praising this series but not from a critical point of view but from a shallow biased point of view.  Here is the conversation in question I over heard.  "Oh my god Becky, did you not see Eclipse, you are such a loser we are going back to my house right now to watch it."  The girl who I guess is Becky said in response. "But I didn't like the last two movies."  This statement gave me some hope for the youth of the world until I heard.  "But that Robert Pattinson guy is good looking so okay."  this made me facepalm myself.  A prime example of a person who hasn't matured to a point in their liking of entertainment selection to look at things for more then face values. 

You can talk to teens today and with their broken text language that they speak even when not using their phones, you will just be able to understand them enough to get the point that they only like a song or a movie just because someone of high social standing said to go and watch this.  They will then pass on the word and a crappy movie or crappy singer will become a smash hit.  True movie critics like Noah Antwiler, Brad Jones, Joe Vargas, Doug Walker, Roger Ebert, etc get their voices out weighed more and more by the bullshit word of mouth from critics who are paid to hype the shit out of a movie.  Though I am not as articulate as the critics I mentioned I am a good judge of a movie.  Teens and the people they idolize are not good sources of finding out what is and what isn't good.  I am not saying all teens out there are incapable of telling the difference, quite the opposite, there is a lot of kids out there who have been able to grow past the bullshit hype and go into a movie or song (genre) with an open mind and anazlye it and then tell whether or not it is good.

So before you go out and buy an album (CD or off Itunes) or go to a movie, go in with an open mind and keep your eyes open not just to the eye and ear candy the producers throw at you, but to the true depth of the work behind it and the way the artist or actor presents themselves. 

Just for the record.  The first director of the Twilight Saga, Catherin Hardwick, I like her work she does really really good work.  But even she couldn't save that snooze fest of a movie, yes Twilight put me to sleep in under twenty minutes.  Also for the record, M. Knight and Michael Bay are hacks the two of them combined have a total of four decent films the rest of their library is shit. 

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to see you put some emotion into your writing, other wise it would be bland and robot like. Though it feels like you're almost trolling with this artical. It's alight to have an opinion but try not to shove it down our throats please. :D

    ReplyDelete