Thursday, March 24, 2011

LOL, OMG Added to the Oxford English Dictionary ♥

So I am sure that many of you around the country and the world have been made aware that the Oxford English Dictionary has Added OMG, LOL and ♥. HOW CAN ♥ BE A WORD. It OMG, LOL are not words they are shorthand acronyms for Oh my god and Laugh out loud. My fear of students handing in text language papers to English teachers may very well become a horrific nightmare come to life. I can see it now.

(This is not a real paper made by a high school it is an example of what I fear)
"Like, OMG, Shakespeare was totally awesome bcause he was like totally loling at the tsp who mocked him. SRSLY."


My brain literally just punched itself for writing like that. It is actions like adding acronyms to the Dictionary A BOOK ABOUT WORDS that just makes me (A self proclaimed member of the Blue Lantern Corp) lose hope in the future of humanity. Text language has places for it's use like Twitter or places where you only have a certain amount of characters to write with. IT DOES NOT BELONG IN EVERYDAY WORDAGE.

LOL,OMG and ♥ should not be placed in the dictionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment