Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I am slightly underwhelmed

The hype for a movie produced by Michael Bay is always the same, people will rant and rave no matter what. When I see Michael Bay attached to any project I usually cringe at the thought and see it when it comes out on DVD. But when I saw it wasn't directed by Michael Bay I was more optimistic. The director of this film is best known for his work on Disturbia and Eagle Eye, having never seen either of these films I am not sure how he truely fairs as a director.

I am Number Four is a movie based off a book by the same name. The story in the beginning of the movie is slightly confusing due to the the jumpy scene transitions and lack of lighting. Both of these issues rear their ugly head a lot in this film. We follow a boy known only as John Smith. Maybe it is due to my lack of reading the book, or maybe it was the writer of the screen play condensing everything down. But the story was very very jumpy in spots and smooth in others. I didn't understand anything until after Tim Olyphant told John about his powers. I do however understand how hard it is convert something that is meant to be complex into the span of 90 minutes and keep it intelligible.

The lighting was an issue for me in this movie, it was always going from very dark and hard to make out the characters to very bright with only a few scenes that were in between. This movie does however have some merits for it do not get me wrong. The acting was good, not OMG BEST ACTING EVER, but good. The dialog while choppy in some spots was still fairly decent and understandable. On a scale from one to ten, I give I am Number Four a six. If you are looking to kill to hours go ahead and see it, but do what I did and go see it for free with the Optimum Triple Play Reward (Free Movie Tuesday)

No comments:

Post a Comment